Old Wells

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Kidding ourselves

If thousands came to Christ tomorrow in the UK there would be some who would say, “See I told you that we needed to be more culturally relevant!”

If men and women dropped on their knees in repentance across the UK tomorrow there would be those who would say, “See I told you that we were wise not to do away with the tried and tested methods of evangelism.”

If next Sunday every church was filled with seekers after God there would be those who would say, it came because of our adaptability and others that it came because of our consistency. Some would say it was because of charismatic leadership and others that it was because of mobilised members.

Well actually although I believe that we will see revival in this land I don’t believe it will be tomorrow. We are still too reliant on methods, schemes and bandwagons, to which we would accredit any significant turning of the tide and it’s just a personal opinion but I don’t think God will let it happen until we have stopped kidding ourselves about some things.

I have been reading Isaiah 48. God knows how prone we are to mistake the source of things. God is just about to turn the tide of the fortunes of Israel but God says he had to tell them what he was going to do in advance, otherwise they would stupidly think that things had changed because of their worship of idols.

V5 Therefore I told you these things long ago before they happened I announced them to you so that you could not say, “My idols did them; my wooden image and metal god ordained them.”

Not only that we kid ourselves that we are not really under the judgement of God because there we have not been struck with a thunderbolt! Rather we assume that if we maintain things a bit, see a little bit of church growth as reported in the Salvationist this week then we must be doing something right.

Francis Scheaffer writing in 1968 says, "There is only one perspective we can have of the post Christian world of our generation: an understanding that our culture and our country is under the wrath of God."

Isaiah says, “For my own sake I delay my wrath, for the sake of my praise I hold it back from you so as not to cut you off.” (v9)

God is not being mean, just practical. Later in verse 18 he says to Israel as I am convinced he says to us today, “If only you had paid attention to my commands your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. Your descendents would have been like the sand your children like its numberless sands.”

But its not too late and God does not want to cut us off. We just need to change our plea. We dare not plead for justice but we can ask with confidence for his mercy.

God bless

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home