Old Wells

Monday, September 18, 2006

On the sofa


I really wasn't feeling well yesterday so following the morning meeting crashed out on the sofa. I then watched a film on one of the God channels, which was basically about the error of separating morality from the authority of Jesus.

The film was Ok, a bit cheap budget and cheesy but there was one line in it that I can't get out of my head.

"Jesus can't save someone he can't command."

Do you agree or disagree?

Also whilst I was still "on the sofa" I received a phone call with the news that someone I had spoken to earlier in the summer about faith issues had got saved! I hasten to add that there were lots of other factors than my involvement in his decision to say yes to Jesus but I am so delighted with the news. It made my day.


God bless

Carol

3 Comments:

  • Hope you're feeling better today!

    I'm not to sure about the "command" line. On one side it conjures up an almost Sergeant-Major barking orders type Jesus who must be obeyed or else! On the other hand it also makes sense as it brings to mind "obedient faith" as we follow God's will for our life.

    So I'm not sure, although I'm not that comfortable with the phrase!

    By Blogger Graeme Smith, at 11:03 PM  

  • I have no problem with the line at all. At tne end of the day that is what our doctrine's say "continueance in a state of salvation depends upon continued obedient faith.'

    Jesus definitely can't save someone who refuses to obey him.

    Just finished 'Hungry for more of Jesus' - wow! Will blog later.

    Get well soon!

    Love and prayers
    Andrew

    By Blogger Andrew Bale, at 1:43 AM  

  • My immediate reaction to the phrase was to think in terms of rescue. The picture came to mind of life-saving at swimmng classes at school. It is very difficult to save someone from drowning who won't trust you and who fights against you. The other thought was of a lady who I know who has just had a triple by-pass operation but despite the fact her health problems are due to smoking and that if she continues to smoke her chances of surviving for long are minimal she has not attempted to give up. He cannot save her because she will not obey his commands.
    I agree that "command" at first sounds cold and harsh but it is obeying commands in the line of fire that saves a soldiers life.

    Jesus is so often presented in our day as the fulfiller of needs, the mender of our brokeness, which he is but he is also the Master to whom all praise and honour is due.

    As for Hungry for More of Jesus....
    I hate to say I told you so!!! I've started on the book David Wilkerson recommends in it, The Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall.

    By Blogger Rehoboth, at 2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home