Old Wells

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tired of the gap

The need to face up to some realities about my own heart condition was confirmed and encouraged yesterday through a trip to a Christian bookshop to spend the vouchers I had for my birthday. Having found The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard inspiring I decided before I went that I wanted to get something by him, although I had no idea what else he had written. Imagine my delight when the only book by him on the shop was "Renovation of the heart."

Isn't it good how God leads you down a pathway and then provides the resources to travel with?

Anyway the foundation verse for the book is "Above all else, guard you heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Prov 4:23

The blurb on the back says:
I'm not okay and you're not okay. We're in serious trouble. And yet the life that we are promised in Christ should be one of spiritual maturity and increasing holiness. We should be brimful of the fruit of Spirit. So why the yawning chasm between what we are and what we should be?...................... We live from the heart, the spiritual place within us from which outlook, choiceds and actions ahve been formed by a world away form God. Now it must be transformed."

I say amen to that. I am so tired of the gap in the church, in the army, in me between what is and what should be but as John Gowans writes:

I believe in transformation
God can change the hearts of men
And refine the evil nature
Till it glows with grace again


God bless

Carol

2 Comments:

  • Hi Carol

    This is thought provoking stuff - if only I could bring myself to read something published after 1920!

    I have posted a blog today which was largely prompted by your musings.

    Much love and prayers

    Andrew

    By Blogger Andrew Bale, at 3:52 AM  

  • Have commented on both yours and Andrews over at Andrews, Carol.

    Blessings, Eleanor

    By Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones, at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home