Old Wells

Monday, June 12, 2006

Street Collection

We had a street collection for the local work of the Salvation Army in Northallerton on Saturday. It was boiling hot and even though the streets were quieter than usual because of the World Cup we did really well.

I just ought to let you know that standing for hours with a collecting box in my hand is in my estimation on a par with doing the ironing and cleaning the oven. It really isn't my favourite way to spend my time.

But I decided I could either clock watch and look miserable all day or I could do this task for the glory of God. I chose the latter, prayed for grace and it was the easiest flag day I have ever done. I met loads of people I knew and raised more money that I usually do. Attitude and praying really do make a difference.

One thing made me smile. A girl of about 8 was given a pound, by her Gran to put into my box. She did so willingly but then as I put a Salvation Army sticker on her lapel asked me, with a puzzled look on her face, why a sticker cost a pound.

Another made me think. A little boy, again with his grandma, was dressed from head to toe as an England fan but when I asked him if he was going home to watch the match he looked at me blankly. "I don't think he really knows what it's really all for and what it's all about!" said his grandma.

And the moral of this story is.................................



God bless

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home