Old Wells

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Heart matters


A few weeks ago whilst leading an Alpha Holy Spirit day I was teaching about God putting his law into our hearts and of course quoted Jermiah 31:33 "I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts ." Later that week during a night of prayer at the Resource Centre the Lord spoke to me again about his desire to write his will on our hearts.

This is what I sensed he said,

I will write my truth upon your heart, not in erasable pen but I will engrave it deeply into you. Your sins, because of the blood of my son can be washed away like chalk and lost forever but my word in your heart can last forever. I can write more as you allow me to enlarge your heart.

The engraving of the Spirit of truth is very beautiful and it contrast with the ugly graffitti of the values of the world. However because your heart is not stone the engraving may at first seem painful but I am gentle and skilled and I will never harm you. You will learn to welcome my touch and the word being seared into you.

I then found the following verse in the songbook

And what if strength should fail
And heart more deeply bleed?
Or what if dark and lonely days
Draw forth the cry of need?
That cry will bring thee down
My needy soul to fill
And thou wilt teach my yearning heart
To know and do thy will.

And that is what God has been doing. I wrote the other day that the book Be a hero impacted me. Through it God showed me that there was a lot of assumptions in my life about the levels of my compassion. They have been a lot shallower than is Christlike. This was very humbling but I know I have to accept his verdict. I have had to allow him to cut more compassion and love into my heart.

I borrowed a book on the life on Sarah Lankford Palmer, (the sister of Phoebe Palmer)from Andrew Bale earlier this week and it was nothing specific but reading about this lady's life I felt very much I am not at the place of total surrender that she was.

So anyway as a result I've been down the prayer room tonight, my prayer being that God would show me the true state of my heart. As I sang O for a heart that is whiter than snow to him, I believe God's done a bit more surgery and although I know there is more he wants to do I have his peace.

God bless


Carol

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home