Old Wells

Thursday, July 27, 2006

My thoughts for yesterday were expressed in reply to Andrew Bales blog on Beyond the Brook but I am continuing with Dallas Willard and Rennovation of the Heart.
This passage stuck out for me today.

"Much of what is called Christian profession today involves little remorse of sorrow over what we have been or even for what we have done. There is little awareness of having been lost or of a radical evil in our hearts, bodies and souls, which we must get away from and from which only God can deliver us. To manifest such awareness today would be regarded as being psychologically sick. It is common today to hear Christians talk of their "brokenness". But when you listen closely it is clear they are talking about their wounds, the things they have suffered, not the evil that is in them. Few today have discovered that they have been disasterously wrong and that they cannot change or escape the consequences of it on their own.
There is little of Isaiah's sense of unworthiness before God: Woe is me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips and I live among a people of unclean lips." (Is 6:1)

Yet without this realization of our utter ruin and without the genuine redirecting of our lives which that better realization gives rise to, no clear path of inner transformation can be found."

I think he is right

God bless

Carol

1 Comments:

  • I've picked up on your thoughts on the Franciscan discussion board and given the link to your blog. I will see where the thread runs,and come back to you if there are rich insights. Penitence is a fundamental part of the 'scaffolding' of Fran. spiritual formation and life. You can come join in if you ever want to, just google angfran-l@justus.anglican.org.
    Blessings,
    Eleanor n/TSSF (salvationist at Penzance Corps)

    By Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones, at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home