Old Wells

Monday, February 05, 2007

Adventure Week

Whoever said that being a Christian was boring?
How can it be when God arranges so many adventures for us?

Some months ago I was invited to go to Ethiopia with some friends from the local Baptist church, a result of my involvement in prison ministry here in Northallerton. When I agreed it seemed a long way off but now the trip is two days away.

We are only going for a week but whilst we are there we will be visiting four prisons and taking part in a Pastors Conference. This all involves a lot of travelling on African roads! One of the prisons we visit is for women. My fellow prison chaplain, Becky, visited here last year and was so moved by the need that she produced a CD to raise funds to improve their conditions. At the end of November "our lads" and some of the staff in Northallerton Prison also raised over £400 towards the cause. The women live in a very confined space with little privacy, with toilet facilities in the mens wing. Most of them have very long sentences and have their children with them until they are 12 years old. Then they face the ordeal of not only being separated from them but knowing that they are going out to fend for themselves unless a sympathetic relative will care for them. We are going to see how the money raised has been used. There is an amazing openess to the gospel and lots of genuine conversions in the prisons there so you can guess I am just a bit excited.

We fly out at 5am. Our marching orders will arrive in the post at about 11am. Fortunately our DC has agreed that we can ring him at about 7am so Alan can ring me whilst I change planes at Amsterdam! We have no idea where we might be going. Like I said being a Christian is an adventure!

I just love it!

Anyway obviously it will be difficult to post for a week but I'll probably write screeds when I get back.

God bless

Carol

3 Comments:

  • Will be praying for you...every blessing!

    AC

    By Blogger Captain Andrew Clark, at 1:25 PM  

  • Good to hear the news ....... been following your blog for a little while ...... Capt Andrew Clark was responsible for that !! :-)). Also for letting us know you were coming to Pill. Hope your trip to Ethiopa went well ..... quite a challenge I guess. My e-mail address is brunel@aol.com if you need to contact us later .... I'll let you have my telephone number etc when we correspond via e-mail

    God Bless you & your family

    Pete & Pauline Brewer (Petros)
    C.S.M. & C.T.

    By Blogger petros, at 6:54 AM  

  • We're thrilled that you are following us to Pill. We've been praying for you to come! So...the revolution continues!

    By Blogger Captain Andrew Clark, at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home