Old Wells

Monday, October 23, 2006

Who do you think you are?

I have been watching the latest series "Who do you think you are?" on TV when we remember to record it. I love history and I find in fascinating. In the last series Jeremy Paxman, the TV journalist discovered that his Scottish relatives were rescued from absolute poverty by the Salvation Army. One of them became an officer and eventually emigrated to Canada.

Sometimes as a child I was annoyed by my surname, Mackinder. Everyone prounounced it wrongly and I always had to spell it for other people. I thought I was the only one in the world other than my Lincolnshire relatives who was lumbered with it.

On Saturday I decided to do a bit of research on the internet and discovered there are hundreds, if not thousands of Mackinders out there. I managed to trace my lot back to 1825, although I discovered there have been Mackinders in the county of Lincolnshire since at least the 16th Century. There is some Scottish connection way back of course. After that I gave up because it would cost money to find out more.

I didn't find any heroes, just shepherds, four generations of them. None of them moved more than a few miles from a little village called Scopwick until my Dad's generation. My own grandmother never ventured beyond Linclonshire until she was in her 70's, when she moved with my parents to Bath. Up until then she had never seen a hill!

My Mackinders didn't own their own sheep and they lived on low wages, in tied cottages and appear to be very boring. There is no family fortune, no great inventions that amazed the world, no great tomes of wisdom. Not much of an inheritance then?

Wrong!

Their lives centred around the local Methodist Church circuit and in each generation the gospel was passed on, until it reached me, through my Dad and my Uncle Charles who swapped shepherding sheep for shepherding people as a Wesleyan Reform minister.
That's an inheritance for eternity.

Who do I think I am? I know who I am.

I am God's child (John 1:12)
I am Christ's friend (John 15:15)
I have been bought with a price. I belong to God (1 Corinthians 6:19)
I am a saint (Eph 1:1)
I am complete in Christ (Col 2:10)
I am a citizen of heaven (Phillipians 3:20)

(from list compiled by NT Anderson. Freedom In Christ Minsitries)

Yours, well and truly "in Christ"

Carol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home