Old Wells

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Covenants, officers and prayers

Andrew Clark writes on his blog about it being two years since he signed his officer covenant and I realised as I read it that it is 24 years today since Alan and I signed ours.

I was called to be a Salvation Army officer at the age of 11 as I witnessed the Commissioning of the Victorious Session. God whispered to me that one day I would stand on that same platform as an officer. He kept his word and a couple of weeks before my 22nd birthday I was commissioned.

It has been an adventure, sometimes frustrating but never boring. It has been fulfilling, demanding, heartbreaking and wonderful. I continue to be amazed that God has given me such a privilege. God has been faithful in helping us to keep our covenant with him.

If there is one thing that causes my hackles to rise it is officers moaning about their lot, what the Army won't let them do and I cannot for the life of me understand what this retiring when you have done 25 years is all about. But then when I get all self-righteous and pompous the Holy Spirit always brings me to task. He reminds me that I have been very fortunate that the Army has allowed me to follow the dream of planting new congregations, that I have been blessed with excellent support networks and that my husband and I can work together well. Others have had to face frustrations and difficulties I can only imagine.

About 12 years ago I was in the middle of a rant to God about officers who had left the work, for what in my opinion were not good enough reasons. He listened until I had finished and then said, very clearly, "And where were you? When this officer's marriage was in trouble where were you? Were you praying for them? When that officer couldn't take any more isolation and the hardness of his people, where were you? When another fell into error or sin, where were you? Were you sitting in judgment or on your knees praying?"

The episode humbled me and shocked me into action. I knew that from then on Alan and I had a commission from God to pray regularly and in particular for our session. We have managed to trace most of them and pray for them as often as we can. This is not because we are particularly noble but simply becasue the Holy Spirit just doesn't let us off the hook with this and we have found that the blessing has far outweighed the committment. So often the people we sought to support have ministered to us and helped to keep us on the right track.

I've rambled on but I suppose I'm just hoping that maybe others might take up the challenge to pray.

God bless

Carol

2 Comments:

  • Thank you! I've posted an excerpt on my blog.

    Captain Evelyn Clark
    USA East officer serving in Estonia
    (on the Field since 2001, commissioned in 2002, but still only six years younger than you!)

    By Blogger Kapten Clark, at 9:59 PM  

  • Carol was I one of the 'fallen' included in your rant 12 years ago?

    If it was not for the practical and prayerful support given to me by Alan and yourself I would not be about to sign my covenant again.

    A sincere word of thanks to you both.

    Love and prayers Andrew

    By Blogger Andrew Bale, at 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home