Old Wells

Friday, May 12, 2006

Is God good or what?

I've had a lot of discussions with various people this week about mission, post modernism, cultural relevance, Roots and the state of the Salvation Army but today I'm just bursting to share how good God is.

On the Wednesday before Roots I decided to go an talk to Scott in his prison cell. He was very depressed and had threatened self-harm so was on a special watch. He had no hope and couldn't imagine how he was going to carry on. You may remember me blogging about this and that the prison's answer to his sleepless nights and episodes of complete despair were to give him large jigsaws to complete to take mind off things. We talked and I told him that the only real answer was to give his burdens to Jesus. He wanted to do this but couldn't believe that all this God stuff was real. However he let me pray for him and I asked the Lord to give him rest.

Being only part-time I had to wait to hear how he was going on but our cell group have been praying for him and maybe a few people who read my original blog. On Monday I was in Tesco's and bumped into one of the prison officers who immediate words to me were, "You'll never guess what Scott done a miraculous turn around and been taken off his self-harm file. We can't understand what's happened!

On Wednesday we had a visit from an old friend of ours called Gram Seed. He is an ex-offender who became a Christian about 10 years ago. Without any flashy props or gimmicks Gram told his story and preached to 14 young offenders about Jesus for an hour and a half. They sat with rapt attention and their mouths open, deeply impressed.

Today I was talking to Scott in the kitchen and he says that he hasn't had a sleepless night since I prayed for him and every time he thinks that this God stuff can't be true he knows he can't deny that something significantly changed through the prayer.
This morning questions about life, faith and how to change poured out of the 7 lads in our group. At some points it was almost as if you could see the light dawning the eyes of some of them. We would have loved more time but it was bang up.

Next Friday the other Chaplain Becky and I are going to do an altar call of some kind for the 7 lads who come to our group. These guys are ready for salvation. Please will you pray for us us. It really feels like we are on the brink of something amazing. But this is a war we are in and there is other stuff happening that is concerning, that I can't share. Please pray for victory.

2 Comments:

  • Hey there,
    that is awesome news about Scott. I was wondering how he was doing after reading the last post about your visit with him. Praise God.
    Keep charging!

    By Blogger lucy ar, at 1:55 PM  

  • Thanks Lucy,

    I told Scott that I had asked people in Blogland to pray and he will be most impressed that he is being thought about in New Zealand.

    God bless Carol

    By Blogger Rehoboth, at 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home