Old Wells

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Repentance -Good news?

Say the word repent and for many people the immediate image that comes to mind is the guy parading up and down the High Street wearing a sandwich board proclaiming that the end is near!

There can also be an assumption that the main reason a preacher or an enthusiastic Christian praying for revival keeps urging everyone to repent is because they want everyone to feel guilty, stop having fun and get really serious!

These days if we had the money, the time and the inclination we could go on a Christian conference every week. There are hundreds to choose from and you can find out how to be successful in almost anything and still call yourself a Christian. Repentance doesn't get a very big billing, if it is there at all.

This is a great pity because Jesus actuallyt talked about good news and repentance in the same breath.
"The time has come. The Kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

Whilst at Divisional Councils I had some time to re-read a book by M Basilea Schlink, the founder of the Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary in Germany called Repentance, the Joy Filled Life" In it she has this wonderful sentence.

"Repentance is an interstate highway to the Father's heart and his love and forgiveness."

If I can reach the Father's heart then it is a road I want to travel on. I am not very good at directions and my husband and I, for reasons of marital harmony have reached an agreement that if we are going on a journey he goes on the internet and downloads multi-map rather than rely upon my navigational skills.

Spiritually I find the same problem. I don't find my way to repentance very easily. I need someone to take me there and keep me on that road until I reach the destination of the Father's heart.
Thankfully the Holy Spirit, "the One who comes alongside" promises to lead us in all truth. I ever need to be open to his leading and admit I need his help.

M Basilea Schlink goes on to say:
"Those who repent are truly alive for after weeping over their sins, they break our in a rejoicing and singing that is unknown to other hearts. The joy of forgiveness. No other joy can compare in depth and height!
The joy of redemption that far surpasses other happiness."

God bless


Carol

1 Comments:

  • Wonderful things - I love the Schlink quotes. Will use them.

    Repentance is at the heart of our future hope - we'll be gathering down here on the 25th to do exactly that, in the model of Daniel 9, Nehemiah 1 etc.

    The word needs to become embedded in Salvation Army vocabulary once again. 'Repent and live!'

    By Blogger Matt Clifton, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home