Old Wells

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Help! Who am I?


In the past two weeks I have had the privilege of spending time with my closest friends. I have met some of them at the UK Territory Planters retreat, others at the SA Cell Conference, spent time in prayer with Primitive Salvationists and been to Divisional Officers Retreat meeting friends from traditional programme corps social services, Prison ministries and Red Shield Services.

So am I an emergent, a primitive, a pentecostal, a traditionalist or something else?
Well I'm blowed if I know so here are some of the things that I do, some of the things I think and some of the things I like and dislike.



I believe that God has called us to be an army and that an army needs soldiers.

I am part of a team of Salvationists who are planting new expressions of the Salvation Army in places where there has been no SA work before or the original work died out.

I think that going for souls and going for the worst is still our mission

I am a leader of a SA plant that is multiplying through Cell church methods, I am part of the SA Cell Coalition.

I visit, minister and evangelise to prisoners every week

I find worship based around performers and an audience difficult to cope with.

I love contemporary styles of worship but some of my favourite songs are in the SASB

I have been slain in the Spirit and I speak in tongues.

I hate the Salvation Army club mentality that I sometimes meet.

I am convinced that holiness is possible and essential.

I dread being stuck with ineffective programmes that don't work

I think that we need to understand the post modern culture in which we live.

I think we need to be very careful about our use of jargon but we cannot stop using military terms until the war is over.

I recognise that sometimes there is a need to make a strategic withdrawel in some areas and to open a more effective work elsewhere.

I wear Salvation Army uniform of some kind the majoirty of the time.

I agree with those who say change is urgently needed and that maintainance leadership has to go.

I am comfortable with the use of prophecy and special revelations.

I believe that as a SA we need to engage in corporate repentance and pray for revival.

There's probably more stuff but it's late and I can't think of any more at this time of night.

I don't really care what lable I wear except that I am a little worried that people are grouping off a bit, being a bit dismissive of one another and making assumptions about each other. What I have found is that when there has been a networking together there have been some differences of opinion but overall we have found the same love for Christ, a desire for the Army to fulfill it's God-given purpose, and the same passion for the lost.

Anyway on that note Carol Young, whatever she is, is going to bed.

Good night and God bless.

2 Comments:

  • Having read your post it is quite obvious that you are a "Carol", what concerns me is that on reflection I must be a "Carol" too. Obviously you don't go out evangelsing you simply go out 'Carolling' :-)

    Seriously though, you are a spirit filled, spirit led Salvationist on the verge of witnessing and being part of one of the biggest revivals the church has ever seen.

    Oh, and by the way you're also an inspiration!

    Love and prayers Andrew

    By Blogger Andrew Bale, at 11:55 PM  

  • hi- I can chirp in 'me, too' to most of those.
    Praise God!
    grace
    stephenc
    armybarmy.com/blog.html

    By Blogger armybarmy, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home