Old Wells

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Every member is in ministry. (the priesthood of all believers)

In this area I believe that the following things are non-negotiable:

- Jesus alone is our high priest. -
1 Timothy 2:5

- all ministries, giftings and service have value

Yesterday at a leaders prayer breakfast we were sharing how often someone, somewhere has prayed for those of us in leadership. Often they have been people who others have overlooked but their prayers have kept us strong or safe when the enemy has attacked.
Alan and I are honoured to have faithful intercessors who pray for our ministry every single day. We are so humbled and encouraged by that.

- women can have a leadership position in the Church

I thank God so often for the privilege of ministry and the opportunity the SA gives me to serve. For me this means shared leadership with my husband and in his wisdom God seems to have given us complimentary gifts that help us work together.

This is not a moan, just an observation. I really don't like doing women's ministry in the Church. At the moment I am reaching out to a group of parents , all of whom are women and that is proving to be an excellent evangelistic opportunity but women's conferences, women only fellowships and meetings just for women officers drive me batty. I have found that some people in the Church and in the Army assume that I want to do that kind of ministry.
Just because I am a woman doesn't mean I want to minister to women all the time and I have found my role as a part-time Prison Chaplain in a YOI for male offenders to be very much more up my street.

- ministry is not confined to age, sex, intellect or social standing

I still believe this in our "get a degree" before you can do the washing up culture. The corps where I grew up, found the Lord and was discipled in was started in a tent by my great Aunt. She had little education, had few social graces, was not even a local officer but she had a passion for the lost and the gift of faith. Don't get me wrong I value education and recognise the need for minds to be given to God for him to use, to develop intelligent strategies for winning the lost but the Lord help us if we stop allowing modern day Billy Bray's, Elijah Cadman's and Gladys Aylwards to serve and to have a place in our mission.

- a calling is not confined to full time leadership within the church

I used to know a man whom God had called to be a bus driver. He was an excellent bus driver and through his kindness and high standards he was an excellent witness for the Lord. He also owned his own mini-bus and with his wife, brought dozens of kids to the Corps. Sadly he could not be content with this. Somehow, somewhere he got the idea that this minsitry wasn't on a par with full-time leadership. He didn't have the skills to preach or run a church but he gave up his job and tried both. It was a disaster and I don't know where he is now.

I have ranted enough so brief comments for the other points.

- every member ministry is facilitated by strong leadership

I don't believe a Church can be run by committee. It is not a democracy. It must be led by Spirit-filled, God appointed leaders.

- ministry is exercised through the presence and power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Activity and ministry are not necessarily the same thing!

- all gifts and ministries seen in the early Church can operate in today’s church.

I don't believe that we can possibly be dispensationalists. The word of God and experience denies it.

- everyone needs to be accountable

Entrepreners, risk taking, passion filled visionaries, please Lord, raise up more but save us from lone rangers.

I didn't realise I felt so strongly about these things. I'd better chill out and have a cup of Yorkshire tea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home