Old Wells

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Grace

Since Philip Yancey's book "What's so amazing about grace?" was published talking about grace has become very popular in Christian circles.

I don't have a problem with that. I like the book. I am where I am, I am what I am because of grace. I preach grace, love to tell stories about grace and aim to live a "grace full" life. When I really think about the grace of God, although I am not given to romantic language it absolutely ravishes my heart.

I'm just a little worried however that grace is becoming a synonym for tolerance and I think they are very different things. The Oxford English Dictionary defines tolerance as "allowing the existence or occurance of something that one disagrees with or dislikes without interference"
The very essence of the grace of God is interference. It is God being prepared to make the utmost sacrifice in order to destroy what he hates to save what he loves.

Last week I attended a retreat for officers where a guest speaker from another denomination spoke about grace. I was puzzled because grace was almost being desribed as God being prepared to break his own rules about the need for repentance because he is so loving.
The parable of the lost son was given as an example. Jesus has the Father bestowing the full rights of sonship back to the prodigal without there being any sign of repentance. The son according to the speaker returned to negociate a deal not seek mercy. Maybe I am too much of an elder brother but that explanation did not sit eaily with me. I had always thought of the son turning his back on the city and returning home as an act of repentance.

We had three sessions on grace and I struggled not because I don't think God is a God of grace but because I believe the value of grace is understood so much more when we remember that God is right to condemn us to hell. I groaned inwardly because people around me were saying amen and nodding enthusiastically to what he was saying and there I was yet again swimming against the tide, wondering how we can speak about grace, and not give hell a thought.

Isn't the grace of God all the greater because he does judge us and we are condemned. Our sin is far more offensive that we ever imagine. He is also offended by different things than we think he is. Never mind sin, even my righteousness to him is a bunch of stinking rags.

Am I just being a grump old woman? I am just a little concerned at the way the precious gift of grace is undervalued if all we mean by it is that God is quite nice really.

Here's what Catherine Booth had to say:

" The Christ of God is the embodiment of his righteousness. He will only administer the benefits of this sacrifice in accordance with the divine standard of right. He will do no violence either to the government of God or to the nature of man. Although love was the supreme ingredient of his character, we hear no words of an indiscriminate charity dropping from his lips, no excuse of sin, no palliation of the guilt of enlightened transgressors of his Father's forebearance. He hated iniquity as supremely as he loved righteousness. The great end and aim of his coming was the regeneration and restoraton of man to the mind and will of God." (Catherine Booth from Popular Christianity)

God bless

Carol

3 Comments:

  • Good points Carol. I've posted on grace as well but from a different viewpoint. Whilst I agree with you that grace is often undervalued, it is also true that under some ministries it feels like you can buy God's grace!

    By Blogger Graeme Smith, at 12:42 AM  

  • Carol

    Thanks for this much needed posting.

    The key to salvation is 'continued obedient faith' which grace makes possible - Hallelujah!

    The debate on Doug Burr's Blog recently seems to give the impression that some think of grace as simply an excuse for sin. A good metaphor might be - "I can drive like a maniac because I have a seat belt and an air bag!"

    Some seem to be saying "It doesn't matter that I can't obey because I always have grace.

    Obedience is central to the ministry of Jesus and the demand for obedience increases the more grace we receive. Our obedience must keep up with our received revelation or we'll lose our salvation (quick, duck! The Calvinists are coming.)

    Grace must result in obedience or we are simply taking God for granted and 'grieving the Holy Spirit.'

    Love and prayers A

    By Blogger Andrew Bale, at 2:48 AM  

  • Hi. I came across your blog while searching for Philip Yancey's book. I am currently blogging on Grace and using "The Ragamuffin Gospel" and "What's So Amazing About Grace" as books to think about. I really liked your critical post (maybe because I'm a critical thinker too). I think you might have something here when you say that grace is becoming a synonym for tolerance. Thanks for sharing, and if you have any other thoughts, please visit me and tell me. I will try to come back and visit too.
    Heidi

    By Blogger heidi @ ggip, at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home